John Paul II was a modern man, living in step with his time. Aleteia invites you to discover 10 rarely seen photos of Karol Wojtyla, a pious man always devoted to others.
These candid photos of a young Karol Wojtyla show him enjoying the simple things in life: paddling a canoe, hiking with friends, lathering up for a good shave. No matter his surroundings, he was always full of enthusiasm for life and dedication to those around him.
Discover 10 rarely seen photos of this modern day
1. Karol Wojtyla shaving, 1959.
2. Karol Wojtyla on an expedition in the Bieszczady mountains, 1953
3. Karol Wojtyla during his military service, summer 1939
4. Karol Wojtyla with students near Saint Floriana church in Krakow, 1951
5. Cardinal Karol Wojtyla with Pope John Paul I, 1978.
6. Msgr Karol Wojtyla during a pilgrimage to the Holy Land,1963
7. Fr. Karol Wojtyla during a trip to the Tatra mountains, between 1950 and 1959.
8. Karol Wojtyla as curate of the parish in Niegowic, 1948
9. Karol Wojtyla canoeing on the Drawa river, 1955
10. Karol Wojtyla as curate of the parish in Niegowic, between 1948 and 1951
11. Karol Wojtyla with his aunt Maria Anna Wiadrowska in Krakow, 1943
12. Karol Wojtyla as a clandestine seminarian in Krakow, 1942